A favorite recipe of legendary cookbook editor Judith Jones, this soup is adapted from the classic Mastering the Art of French Cooking, Vol. I (Knopf, 1961), by Julia Child, Louisette Bertholle, and Simone Beck.
- 3 russet potatoes, peeled and sliced or diced
- 5 leeks, trimmed, cleaned, then thinly sliced, including the tender green part
- 4–6 tbsp. whipping cream
- 2–3 tbsp. minced fresh parsley or chives
- Put potatoes, leeks, salt to taste, and 8 cups of water in a large saucepan over medium heat and simmer, partially covered, until vegetables are tender, 40–50 minutes.
- Mash vegetables in the soup with a fork, or pass the soup through a food mill. Correct seasoning with salt.
- Off heat, just before serving, stir in the cream by spoonfuls. Pour soup into a tureen or soup bowls and decorate with the herbs. Add a little freshly ground white pepper, if you like.