Forget trendy beans—it doesn't take much to make America's own tried-and-true lima beans into something special. Pureed and spread on toasted country bread, they make a fine Mediterranean-ish appetizer. If you must be on the cutting culinary edge, simply substitute cooked fresh red lentils or fava, navy, or cannellini beans for the limas.
- 2 cups fresh shelled or frozen baby lima beans
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
- 3 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Country-style bread, toasted and cut into small squares or triangles