Lisa's Blackberry Cobbler
The freshest, sweetest berries make this cobbler irresistible.
Yield: serves 8
- 5-6 cups ripe berries and/or peeled, pitted, and sliced stone fruit
- 2 tsp. lemon juice
- Grated rind of 1 lemon
- 1 cup plus 2 tbsp. sugar
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 1⁄4 tsp. baking powder
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 lb. chilled butter, cut in small pieces
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 375°. Put berries and/or fruit in a large mixing bowl, then add lemon juice, lemon rind, ¾ cup of the sugar, ¼ cup of the flour, and ¼ tsp. of the cinnamon and mix together by tossing gently. Spread fruit mixture in a deep baking pan and bake until berries are hot and bubbling, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix together remaining 2 cups flour, ¼ cup sugar, baking powder, and salt in a bowl. Use two knives or a pastry cutter to work butter into flour mixture until it is the consistency of coarse meal.
- Beat milk and eggs together in a small bowl, then add to flour mixture and stir with a fork until just mixed. Spread flour mixture evenly over berries.
- Mix together remaining 2 tbsp. sugar and ¼ tsp. cinnamon in a small bowl and sprinkle over top of cobbler. Bake until golden, about 25 minutes.