(Makai Nu Shaak) This unexpected variation on creamed corn comes from the Indian state of Gujarat.
Corn Cooked in Milk with Chiles and Coconut
This unexpected variation on creamed corn comes from the Indian state of Gujarat.
Yield: serves 4
- 3 cups fresh corn kernels
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 tbsp. ghee or clarified butter
- 1⁄8 tsp. cumin seeds
- 2 serrano chiles, chopped
- 1 (1/2" piece) ginger, peeled and grated
- Pinch ground turmeric
- 2 tbsp. fresh or dried grated coconut
- 6 sprigs cilantro, chopped
- Put corn and milk into a medium saucepan and simmer over medium heat, stirring often, until milk has reduced by three-quarters, 40–45 minutes. Season to taste with salt.
- Heat ghee in a medium skillet over medium heat and toast cumin seeds for 10 seconds. Add chiles, ginger, turmeric, and corn mixture and mix well. Add coconut and cilantro and cook 1 minute more. Adjust seasoning.