(Makai Nu Shaak) This unexpected variation on creamed corn comes from the Indian state of Gujarat.
- 3 cups fresh corn kernels
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 tbsp. ghee or clarified butter
- 1⁄8 tsp. cumin seeds
- 2 serrano chiles, chopped
- 1 (1/2" piece) ginger, peeled and grated
- Pinch ground turmeric
- 2 tbsp. fresh or dried grated coconut
- 6 sprigs cilantro, chopped
Put corn and milk into a medium saucepan and simmer over medium heat, stirring often, until milk has reduced by three-quarters, 40–45 minutes. Season to taste with salt.
Heat ghee in a medium skillet over medium heat and toast cumin seeds for 10 seconds. Add chiles, ginger, turmeric, and corn mixture and mix well. Add coconut and cilantro and cook 1 minute more. Adjust seasoning.