This recipe is based on one given to us by chef Vedat Basaran of Feriye restaurant in Istanbul, a champion of traditional Turkish cuisine.
Yield: makes 12 Pies
- 1 lb. commercial phyllo
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 2 finely chopped peeled onions
- 3⁄4 lb. ground lamb
- 3⁄4 cup finely chopped parsley
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 egg
- 3 tbsp. milk
- 2 tbsp. melted butter
- Bring commercial phyllo to room temperature. Preheat oven to 400°. Heat butter in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add onions and cook until golden, about 25 minutes.
- Transfer to a bowl and cool. Add ground lamb, parsley, salt, and black pepper; mix well. In a separate bowl, combine egg, milk, and melted butter. Mix well. Lay 1 sheet phyllo on an oiled baking sheet. Brush with egg mixture, then repeat, layering and brushing, until you have 10 layers.
- Brush top with egg mixture, then dot with 2-tbsp. portions of meat mixture, creating 3 rows of 4. Press a sheet of phyllo over filling; brush with egg mixture. Continue layering phyllo and brushing with egg mixture until crust is 10 sheets thick. Press gently around filling, then, using a 3 1⁄2'' round cutter, cut out pies. Discard scraps, brush pies with egg mixture, and bake until golden, 25 minutes. Remove from oven and serve with yogurt.