Mustard greens are a Southern staple. At Izola's, they're simmered for a long time with salt pork and sugar—a simple method that yields sumptuous flavor. Dousing the cooked greens with chile-infused vinegar sharpens their flavor. Restaurateur Izola White sometimes adds a dash of coffee to the vinegar to deepen its color and taste.
- 1 cup distilled white vinegar
- 2 tbsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 1⁄2 lb. salt pork, halved
- 4 tbsp. butter or margarine
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 4 lb. mustard greens (about 5 bunches), trimmed, thick veins removed, and roughly chopped