Helen Corbitt’s Chicken Salad
Famed Texas cook Helen Corbitt created this rich chicken salad recipe for the cafe menu at Neiman Marcus department stores in the 1950s. It’s delicious on toasted multigrain bread with lettuce and tomato. This recipe first appeared in our April 2011 special Sandwich Issue with the article Salad Days.
- 1 lb. cooked chicken breasts, cut into 1/2″ cubes
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1 cup halved purple grapes
- 1⁄2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1 tbsp. finely chopped parsley
- 1 tsp. kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 1⁄2 cup whipped cream
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Combine chicken, mayonnaise, celery, grapes, almonds, parsley, and salt in a bowl. Add whipped cream and pepper; fold to combine.