Be sure to glaze this cake while it’s still warm so that the syrup is easily absorbed.
Orange Pound Cake
Be sure to glaze this cake while it's still warm so that the syrup is easily absorbed.
Yield: serves 8
For the Cake
- 15 tbsp. softened unsalted butter
- 3 tbsp. milk
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups sifted cake flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tbsp. grated orange zest
For the Glaze
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- For the cake: Preheat oven to 350°. Grease a 6-cup loaf pan with 2 tbsp. of the butter; set aside. Put milk, eggs, and vanilla in a bowl and beat until well combined; set aside.
- Sift together flour, sugar, and baking powder into the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with a whisk. Add zest, beating on medium speed, then add remaining 13 tbsp. of butter, 1 tbsp. at a time, waiting until each is completely incorporated before adding more.
- Slowly add milk-egg mixture, beating constantly, until batter is just mixed together. Pour into prepared pan and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean, 55-65 minutes. (Lightly cover cake with a piece of buttered foil during baking if it begins to get too brown.) Allow cake to cool on a rack for 5 minutes, then unmold. Using a skewer, poke holes all over top of cake.
- For the glaze: Combine sugar and orange juice in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat, stirring until sugar has dissolved. Reduce glaze by half. Brush some of the warm glaze over top of cake, reapplying glaze until cake is saturated.