Fragrant orange flower water, called zhaar in Morocco and made from the blossoms of bergamot orange trees, perfumes this delicate salad, in which sweet citrus is offset by spicy radish.
- 1-2 bunches red radishes, about 1/2 lb., washed and trimmed
- 1 1⁄2 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. orange flower water
- 1 1⁄2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. fresh orange juice
- 1 seedless orange
- Leaves from 2 sprigs fresh mint
- Shred radishes using a mandoline or food processor, or slice thinly and julienne. Place in a small bowl and sprinkle with sugar. Stir and set aside to macerate for 15 minutes. Drain off excess liquid. Cover and refrigerate, about 20 minutes, until well chilled.
- Just before serving, whisk together orange flower water, lemon juice, and orange juice in a small bowl, and season to taste with salt. Pour dressing over radishes and lightly toss.
- Peel and section orange. Arrange orange sections over radishes and serve garnished with mint.