Orange and Radish Salad
Fragrant orange flower water, called zhaar in Morocco and made from the blossoms of bergamot orange trees, perfumes this delicate salad, in which sweet citrus is offset by spicy radish.
- 1-2 bunches red radishes, about 1/2 lb., washed and trimmed
- 1 1⁄2 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. orange flower water
- 1 1⁄2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. fresh orange juice
- 1 seedless orange
- Leaves from 2 sprigs fresh mint
- Shred radishes using a mandoline or food processor, or slice thinly and julienne. Place in a small bowl and sprinkle with sugar. Stir and set aside to macerate for 15 minutes. Drain off excess liquid. Cover and refrigerate, about 20 minutes, until well chilled.
- Just before serving, whisk together orange flower water, lemon juice, and orange juice in a small bowl, and season to taste with salt. Pour dressing over radishes and lightly toss.
- Peel and section orange. Arrange orange sections over radishes and serve garnished with mint.