Mark Kurlansky, author of Cod, credits Stella’s Restaurant on the St. John’s waterfront in Newfoundland with this recipe—a perfect example of what he considers the proper way to cook fresh cod: quickly, gently, and simply.
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1⁄4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. finely chopped fresh parsley
- 4 fresh cod filets (about 6 oz. each)
- 3 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- Combine eggs with milk in a medium bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix together flour, paprika, pepper, and parsley.
- Dip filets first in the egg mixture and then in the flour.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Shake excess flour from filets, then fry, in batches if necessary, until fish flakes easily, about 2 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels, season with salt, and serve.