(Tava Kebaplý Bulgur Pilavý)
You can also use the stock made in step 1 to baste the Lamb Kebabs With Eggplant.
- 4 1⁄2 lb. lamb bones
- 1 medium onion, cut into sixths
- 1 carrot, cut into 1″ chunks
- 1 tbsp. rice
- 3 black peppercorns
- 1 1⁄2 cups fine bulgur
- 1⁄2 cup plus 6 tbsp. clarified butter
- 1 (1 1/4-lb.) piece boneless leg of lamb (from the largest end), tendons, sinew, and fat removed and discarded, cut crosswise into 1⁄2″ slices
- Ground cinnamon
- Put bones and 10 cups water into a large pot and bring to a boil. Skim off and discard any foam from surface. Add onions, carrots, rice, and peppercorns, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for 1 hour. Season lamb stock with salt to taste; strain through a fine sieve into a large bowl. Discard solids.
- Bring 2 cups of the lamb stock to a boil in a small pot over medium-high heat. Season with salt to taste, add bulgur, reduce heat to medium, and cook, covered, for 3 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook for 5 minutes. Uncover, drizzle with 1⁄2 cup butter; reduce heat to low. Cook, covered, until all liquid has been absorbed, about 20 minutes. Fluff with a fork, cover, and keep warm.
- Pound lamb slices one at a time between 2 pieces of plastic wrap with a meat mallet, to a thickness of 1⁄8″. Heat 2 tbsp. butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté 3 slices lamb until golden brown, 2–4 minutes per side. Wipe out skillet and repeat twice with remaining butter and lamb. Sprinkle with cinnamon and salt. Serve with Rose Petal Salad with Parsley and Mint, if you like.