Curly parsley is milder and more common than its flat-leaf sibling. When texture is important, as in salads, this type of parsley shines.
For the Salad
- 4 cups packed curly parsley leaves
- 3 oz. parmigiano-reggiano, coarsely grated or shaved
- 1 1⁄2 cups oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained and sliced into a medium julienne
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
For the Dressing
- 1⁄2 cup packed basil leaves
- 3⁄4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup rice vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
For the salad: Carefully wash parsley to remove any dirt; dry well and place in a salad bowl. Add parmigiano-reggiano to the parsley. Add sun-dried tomatoes, along with garlic. Toss well to combine.
For the dressing: Carefully wash basil to remove any sand, then dry well. Place the basil leaves in the bowl of a food processor and add oil, vinegar, and salt and pepper to taste; process until smooth. Stir shallots and garlic into the dressing.
Drizzle dressing over salad and toss well to combine ingredients. Taste and adjust seasonings. Divide among six salad plates, garnish with some shaved parmigiano, and serve.