Curly parsley is milder and more common than its flat-leaf sibling. When texture is important, as in salads, this type of parsley shines.
For the Salad
- 4 cups packed curly parsley leaves
- 3 oz. parmigiano-reggiano, coarsely grated or shaved
- 1 1⁄2 cups oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained and sliced into a medium julienne
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
For the Dressing
- 1⁄2 cup packed basil leaves
- 3⁄4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup rice vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- For the salad: Carefully wash parsley to remove any dirt; dry well and place in a salad bowl. Add parmigiano-reggiano to the parsley. Add sun-dried tomatoes, along with garlic. Toss well to combine.
- For the dressing: Carefully wash basil to remove any sand, then dry well. Place the basil leaves in the bowl of a food processor and add oil, vinegar, and salt and pepper to taste; process until smooth. Stir shallots and garlic into the dressing.
- Drizzle dressing over salad and toss well to combine ingredients. Taste and adjust seasonings. Divide among six salad plates, garnish with some shaved parmigiano, and serve.