We got this recipe from Greek cookbook author and SAVEUR contributor Diane Kochilas.
FOR THE WHIPPED FETA:
- 1⁄2 lb. Greek feta, crumbled
- 3 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- Freshly cracked black pepper
FOR THE SALAD:
- 3 ripe medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 3 tbsp. chopped fresh mint
- 6 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb. shelled fresh favas (about 3 1⁄2 cups) from about 3 lbs. unshelled favas
- 1 lb. ziti or rigatoni
For the whipped feta: Puree feta, oil, lemon juice, and pepper to taste in a food processor until smooth. Adjust seasonings. Transfer to a small bowl, cover, and refrigerate for 2-8 hours.
For the salad: Put tomatoes, garlic, mint, 4 tbsp. of the oil, and salt and pepper to taste into a bowl. Toss and let sauce rest at room temperature for 1 hour.
Blanch favas in a large pot of salted boiling water until just tender, 4-5 minutes. Drain favas, rinse under cold running water, and drain well. Add favas to sauce and toss well.
Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until just cooked through, 11-13 minutes. Drain and toss with remaining oil. Divide pasta among four to six plates and top each with some of the sauce and some of the whipped feta.