Fresh orange juice and plenty of mint enliven ordinary frozen peas in this easy side dish. This recipe first appeared in our November 2011 issue along with Linda Monastra’s story True Harvest.
- 4 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 2 large shallots, thinly sliced
- 4 cups frozen green peas
- 1⁄4 cup fresh orange juice
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 tbsp. finely chopped mint
- Peeled zest of 1 orange, julienned
- Heat butter in a 12″ skillet over medium-high heat; add shallots, and cook, stirring often, until soft, about 4 minutes. Add peas, juice, and salt and pepper, and cook, stirring, until heated through, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in mint and orange peel before serving.