Every Cuban cook has a version recipe of this classic dish of savory ground beef.
Yield: serves 4
- 3 lbs. ground beef
- 10 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 green bell pepper, cored, seeded, and chopped
- 2 scallions, trimmed and finely chopped
- 25 pitted green olives, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 3 tbsp. capers, drained
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup dry sherry
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- Mix together beef, garlic, peppers, scallions, olives, raisins, capers, bay leaves, cumin, oregano, tomato sauce, and sherry in a bowl. Cover and set aside for 30 minutes.
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add beef and cook, breaking up meat with the back of a spoon, for 30-40 minutes. Season to taste with salt. Remove bay leaves. Serve over white rice, if you like.