Pickled Dungeness Crab
North Beach ''old stove'' (traditional home cook) Rose Pistola provided this recipe for us.
Yield: serves 2-4
- 1 cooked 2-lb. dungeness crab
- 1⁄2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup finely diced celery hearts and leaves
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 shallot, peeled and diced
- 2 tbsp. finely chopped fresh chives
- 1 clove garlic, crushed and peeled
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced
- Pull top shell off crab and remove gray gills. Scoop out and discard any soft fat. Crack legs with a nutcracker to expose flesh. Split crab in half down middle, then cut between each of the legs. Place crab pieces in a shallow glass dish.
- Whisk together oil, vinegar, celery, carrots, shallots, chives, and garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Pour dressing over crab pieces and toss to coat well. Cover and refrigerate for 24 hours.
- Transfer crab pieces to a platter, drizzle with marinade, and garnish with lemon slices.