Classic Southern pimento cheese makes for an excellent lunchbox sandwich with lettuce and tomatoes. Author Rachel Wharton uses Rick's Picks brand of pickled red peppers in this sandwich, but if you can't find them, use regular jarred pimientos in brine. This recipe first appeared in our April 2011 special Sandwich Issue with the article Southern Charmer.
- 1 (10-oz.) package sharp white cheddar
- 1⁄2 cup packed, jarred pimientos, finely chopped, plus 1 tbsp. brine, reserved from jar
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 habanero chile, stemmed, seeded, and finely chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Tabasco, to taste
- 16 slices toasted whole wheat sandwich bread
- 8 leaves red-leaf lettuce
- 16 slices tomato
Finely grate cheese on small holes of a box grater and transfer to a food processor, along with peppers, brine, mayonnaise, garlic, and chile. Season with salt, pepper, and Tabasco, and pulse until lightly chunky. Top 8 bread slices with 1 lettuce leaf, 2 slices tomato, and 1⁄4 cup cheese mixture; top with remaining bread.