This recipe takes a wonderful French classic to the next level by adding the highly prized truffle.
Yield: serves 6
- 10 medium-size potatoes, peeled
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp. sugar
- ½ cups truffle shavings, chopped
- Parboil potatoes for 10 minutes. Drain and place on paper towels to cool and dry. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Melt 2 tbsp. of the butter with oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Brown whole potatoes on all sides, turning often, until uniformly colored. Remove from pan and keep warm in a low oven.
- Melt another 2 tbsp. butter in the same skillet. Add onions, sugar, and salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions soften.
- In a small bowl, combine truffles and remaining 4 tbsp. butter. Season with salt and pepper and mix well.
- Cut potatoes into 1⁄4" rounds and arrange decoratively on plates with a bit of onion mixture in the center and a walnut-size dollop of truffle butter on top.