Pumpkin Cake Roll
This dessert, a delicious alternative to pumpkin pie or pecan pie, consists of a pumpkin- and spice-flavored cake filled with sweetened cream cheese.
Yield: serves 8-10
- 4 tbsp. plus 1 tsp. butter, softened
- <sup>3</sup>⁄<sub>4</sub> cup plus 1 tbsp. flour
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- <sup>1</sup>⁄<sub>2</sub> tsp. ground nutmeg
- pinches fine salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- <sup>2</sup>⁄<sub>3</sub> cup canned pumpkin
- 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup roughly chopped pecans
- 1 <sup>1</sup>⁄<sub>4</sub> cups confectioners' sugar
- 6 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 375°. Grease a 10" × 15" jelly roll pan with 1 tsp. butter and dust with 1 tbsp. flour; tap pan to remove excess flour; set aside. Sift remaining flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt into a bowl; set aside. Beat eggs in a bowl with an electric mixer until fluffy and tripled in size, 4–5 minutes. Add granulated sugar in 3 parts, beating after each addition; beat until thick and creamy, about 2–3 minutes more. Stir in pumpkin and lemon juice; gently fold in flour mixture. Pour batter onto prepared pan; spread out to edges; sprinkle pecans over top. Bake until cooked through, about 15 minutes. Sprinkle a kitchen towel with 1⁄4 cup confectioners' sugar. Working quickly, loosen edges of still-warm cake and turn out onto towel; roll up snugly like a jelly roll. Set aside, seam side down, to let cool, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, beat together remaining butter and confectioners' sugar, cream cheese, and vanilla in a bowl, with an electric mixer, to make a smooth filling. Carefully unroll cake and spread with filling; gently reroll. Transfer cake to a platter, seam side down, cover, and let chill until set. Slice and serve.
MORE TO READ
Our Best Pumpkin Recipes Celebrate the Flavor of Fall
Think outside the pie this autumn with these craveable cooking ideas from around the globe.
Don’t Fear the Dinner Party: Toasting Romy Gill’s Cookbook from Home
Recipes, tricks, and tips for hosting a Himalayan-inspired vegetarian feast.