Sour cream and tart pickles complement earthy beets in this salad made by home cook Maija Kalniņa. This recipe first appeared in our May 2011 issue, with the article Riga Revisited.
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp. kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 2 cups cooked or rinsed, canned kidney beans
- 1⁄4 cup minced gherkins or dill pickles
- 4 medium boiled beets, peeled and cut into 12″ cubes
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp. sliced parsley leaves
- In a large bowl, whisk together sour cream, mayonnaise, and salt until smooth. Add beans, gherkins, and beets, and gently stir until evenly coated. Season with salt and pepper, stir to combine, then transfer to a large bowl or platter. Sprinkle with parsley before serving.