We love this creamy salad on a toasted bagel half, topped with tomato and onion slices.
- 1⁄2 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 lb. smoked whitefish or trout, skinned, bones removed
- 1⁄3 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1 tbsp. chopped dill
- 1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 hard-boiled egg, finely chopped
- 1 rib celery, finely chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Place the chopped onions in a bowl and cover them with cold water. Let the onions soak to mellow their bite, about 15 minutes. Strain and set aside.
Use a fork to flake the fish into a bowl. Add onion, mayonnaise, sour cream, dill, lemon juice, egg, and celery. Stir to combine and season with pepper. Serve immediately, or cover and refrigerate for up to 4 days.