Roast Shoulder of Lamb
Herdwick lamb is not available in this country, and we found that related breeds raised here were not noticeably more flavorful than good conventional lamb.
Yield: serves 6
- 1 bunch fresh rosemary
- 1 bunch fresh thyme
- 3 1⁄2 to 4 lb. lamb shoulder
- Coarse salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 12 peeled small white onions
- Preheat oven to 325°. Scatter sprigs from 1 bunch fresh rosemary and 1 bunch fresh thyme in a large roasting pan.
- Generously season a 3 ½ - 4-lb. lamb shoulder with coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper, then put on top of rosemary and thyme. Scatter 12 peeled small white onions around lamb.
- Roast lamb until internal temperature reaches 135° for medium rare, 1-1 1⁄2 hours. Transfer lamb to a warm platter, loosely cover with foil, and set aside to rest for 15 minutes before carving. Degrease pan juices and serve lamb with pan juices and onions.