Roasted Herbed Chicken and Vegetables
This one-dish meal of chicken and vegetables is flavored with lemon peel,garlic,and lots of fragrant herbs.
Yield: serves 4
- 4 tbsp. butter
- 1 1⁄2 tbsp. dried herbes de provence
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 2 cups white wine
- 1⁄2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp. fennel seeds
- 12 cloves garlic, unpeeled (8 whole, 4 crushed)
- 3 medium turnips, cut into 2" pieces
- 1 small butternut squash (about 1 1⁄2 lbs.), peeled, seeded, and cut into thick half moons
- Kosher salt and coarsely ground pepper, to taste
- 1 (4-lb.) chicken, wings tucked under body
- 1 lemon
- 1 bunch thyme
- 1 large yellow onion, cut into thick wedges
- 3⁄4 lb. brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
- 3⁄4 lb. cremini mushrooms, left whole
- 12 large sage leaves
- Heat oven to 375°. Melt butter and herbes de provence in a pot over medium heat. Remove from heat; whisk in honey. Cover; let herb butter steep for 20 minutes. Combine wine, half the oil, fennel, whole garlic, turnips, squash, and salt and pepper in a bowl; set turnip mixture aside.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper. Peel rind from lemon in strips. Halve lemon; set aside. Put rind into cavity with remaining garlic and thyme. Tie legs with twine; set chicken on a small roasting rack (see Foiled) in a roasting pan. Arrange turnip mixture around chicken; scatter with onions. Brush chicken with some herb butter. Roast, basting chicken with herb butter and vegetables with pan juices, until turnips are just tender, about 1 hour.
- Toss brussels sprouts, mushrooms, and sage together in a bowl with remaining oil and salt and pepper; transfer to pan. Continue roasting until a thermometer inserted in chicken's thigh registers 165°, 25–30 minutes. Transfer chicken to a platter; cover loosely with foil. Return vegetables to oven; roast until very tender, 18–20 minutes. Carve chicken (following steps in Carving Chicken), squeeze reserved lemon over top and serve with vegetables.