Based on a recipe from Armenian-American author Peter Balakian, this dish calls for slow-roasting lamb over okra, green beans, and eggplant until the lamb is tender and the vegetables have absorbed some of its juices.
- 4 (10-oz.) lamb shoulder chops
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 8 oz. green beans, trimmed
- 8 oz. okra
- 6 cloves garlic, smashed
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced ½” thick
- 2 medium zucchini, cut into ½” pieces
- 2 onions, roughly chopped
- 2 small eggplants, cut into 1/2″ pieces
- 1⁄2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Heat oven to 325°. Season lamb with salt and pepper; set aside.
- Put green beans, okra, garlic, tomatoes, zucchini, onions, and eggplants into a large roasting pan. Add oil, season with salt and pepper, and toss to combine. Arrange lamb over top. Cover dish with foil and cook for 1 hour. Uncover and continue cooking until lamb is browned and tender, about 1 hour more. Remove dish from oven, sprinkle with parsley, and let rest for 10 minutes before serving.