We like to eat this “roasted” tomato salsa with tortilla chips. (Broiling allows you to use the juice that seeps out while cooking.)
Yield: makes 1 1/2 cups
- 2 tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 large fresh serrano chile, stemmed
- 1 tbsp. roughly chopped fresh cilantro
- Pinch sugar
- Preheat broiler. Place tomatoes on a baking pan lined with aluminum foil. Char, turning to blacken all over, about 15 minutes.
- Heat a cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and chile, and toast, turning frequently, until soft, 10-15 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Peel garlic, then place in a blender or food processor with chile and pulse until chopped. Core tomato (blackened skin will lend a slightly smoky flavor), add to puree, and pulse until blended. Transfer to a bowl. Stir in cilantro and sugar. Season with salt.