This smooth peanut sauce, a take on a traditional salsa from Chiapas, is delicious spooned on roast chicken or shrimp.
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup roasted unsalted peanuts
- 1⁄4 tsp. dried thyme
- 6 dried arbol chiles, stemmed
- 8 black peppercorns
- 6 allspice berries
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small white onion, minced
- 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- Heat oil in an 8″ skillet over medium heat; add peanuts, thyme, chiles, peppercorns, allspice, garlic, and onion, and cook, stirring, until onion is soft, about 4 minutes. Transfer to a blender and add vinegar, salt and 1⁄2 cup water; blend until very smooth, about 2 minutes. Let cool.