Sautéed Mixed Mushrooms
The key to achieving perfectly browned mushrooms is to heat the oil in the pan before adding them, and then stir the mushrooms only when necessary, so each side can sear without steaming. A touch of butter adds richness. This recipe first appeared in our December 2013 issue along with Mike Colameco’s article All is Calm, All is Bright.
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 4 oz. cremini mushrooms, quartered
- 4 oz. large shiitake mushrooms, quartered
- 4 oz. portobello mushrooms, gills removed, quartered
- 4 oz. white button mushrooms, quartered
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp. roughly chopped parsley
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a 12″ skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms; cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, 12–15 minutes. Add garlic and onion; cook until soft, 3–5 minutes. Stir in parsley, butter, salt, and pepper.