Shakers, descendants of an 18th-century Christian ascetic movement, believe that when you eat, you should “shaker your plate”—finish every last crumb. That’s easy to do when you’re having a slice of this sweet-tart, sunny pie—a specialty of the Ohio branch of the Shaker community—with its flaky, buttery crust and marmalade-like citrus filling. This recipe also appears in the SAVEUR New Classics Cookbook.
For the Filling
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄4 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 large lemons, zested and thinly sliced, seeds discarded
- 4 eggs
- 4 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
- 3 tbsp. flour
For the Crust
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour, plus more
- 10 tbsp. unsalted butter, cubed and chilled
- 2 tbsp. vegetable shortening
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 5 tbsp. ice-cold water
- Start the filling: Toss sugar, salt, and lemon zest and slices in a bowl; cover with plastic wrap and let sit at room temperature for 24 hours.
- Make the crust: Pulse flour, butter, shortening, and salt in a food processor into pea-size crumbles. Add water; pulse until dough forms. Divide dough in half and flatten into disks; wrap in plastic wrap and chill 1 hour.
- Finish the filling and bake the pie: Heat oven to 425°. Whisk eggs in a bowl until frothy. Whisk in melted butter and 3 tbsp. flour; stir into reserved lemon mixture. On a lightly floured surface, roll 1 disk dough into a 12″ round; fit into a 9″ pie plate. Trim edges using a knife, leaving 1″ dough overhanging edge of plate; pour in filling. Roll remaining disk dough into a 12″ round and place over top of pie. Pinch top and bottom edges together and fold under; crimp edges and cut 5 steam vents in the top crust. Bake until crust is golden, about 30 minutes. Reduce oven to 350°; bake until golden brown, 25–30 minutes. Let cool completely before serving.
As Seen In:
SAVEUR is devoted to following food to its source. For more than 20 years, we’ve been sharing and celebrating authentic cuisine from across the globe. Now, in The New Classics Cookbook, our editors have collected 1,000+ of our all-time favorite go-to recipes in one essential volume. It will bring a world of inspiration to your home kitchen for years to come.