Shark Empanada Filling
This delicious filling is almost as Spanish as it is Mexican.
Yield: makes 3 Cups or Fills 32 Empanadas
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 lb. skinless shark (or swordfish) steaks
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1 white onion, peeled and diced
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 9 plum tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 8 pitted green olives (such as manzanillas), chopped
- 1 tbsp. chopped capers
- 1 fresh serrano chile, stemmed and chopped
- 2 tbsp. currants
- 1 tbsp. pickled jalapeño juice
- 2 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Boil 4 cups water, rosemary, thyme, and bay leaves in a pot over medium heat. Add steaks and salt, cover, remove from heat, and set aside for 30 minutes.
- Remove fish; flake into a bowl. Cook onions in oil in a skillet over medium heat for 10 minutes. Add garlic, tomatoes, olives, capers, chiles, currants, and jalapeño juice. Cook for 15 minutes.
- Add fish and parsley; season with salt and pepper; cook 1 minute.