Smoked Trout Hash
Serve this delicate hash on its own, or top it with a poached egg for a hearty breakfast or light supper.
Yield: serves 2
- 2 russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 oz. Ducktrap smoked trout, skinned and shredded
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp. heavy cream
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh chives
- 2 tbsp. butter
- Bring potatoes and onions to a simmer in salted water in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook until potatoes are just tender when pierced with a knife, then drain.
- Gently mix cooked potatoes and onions, smoked trout, egg, heavy cream, and chives in a large mixing bowl.
- Melt butter in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add potato-trout mixture and fry, turning occasionally, until potatoes are golden brown and crisp. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve.