Spice-Rubbed Chicken with Duck Sauce
The fiery chile-based rub on this chicken is balanced by a basting of sweet-sour duck sauce.
Yield: serves 4
- 1 (3–4-lb.) chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 3 tbsp. paprika
- 2 tbsp. dark red chile powder
- 1 tbsp. cayenne
- 1 tbsp. ground cumin
- 1 tbsp. dried oregano
- 1 tbsp. dried rosemary
- 1 tbsp. dried thyme
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 1⁄2 cups Chinese duck sauce
- Place chicken in a bowl. Mix oil, paprika, chile powder, cayenne, cumin, oregano, rosemary, thyme, salt, and pepper in a bowl; rub mixture over chicken. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Heat a charcoal grill or set a gas grill to high; bank coals or turn burner off on one side (see Grilling 101). Remove chicken from marinade; grill, flipping once, until browned, 10–12 minutes. Using a brush, baste occasionally with duck sauce until caramelized and cooked through, about 15 minutes. If outside starts to burn before chicken is cooked, move chicken to cooler section of the grill until done.