Spiced Parsnip Soup
This creamy, curry-accented soup pairs nicely with crumbly cheese straws or cheese bread.
Yield: serves 10
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 2 medium white onions, peeled and chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 5 medium parsnips, peeled, trimmed, and cut into 1" cubes
- 2 russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1" cubes
- 6 cups milk
- 2 pinches Madras curry powder
- Sea salt
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- Melt butter in a heavy-bottomed medium pot over medium heat. Add onions and celery and cook, stirring often, until onions are soft and translucent, 8Ð10 minutes. Add parsnips and potatoes, stir to combine, then add milk and 4 cups water. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until parsnips and potatoes are soft when pierced with the tip of a small sharp knife, 15Ð20 minutes. Add curry powder and season to taste with salt.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer about one-third of the parsnip and potatoes to a small bowl and set aside. Working in batches , puree soup in a blender until smooth. Transfer soup to a clean medium pot. Return parsnips and potatoes to soup, add cream, and adjust seasonings. Heat soup over medium heat until hot.