Our favorite mustard recipe uses brown mustard seeds and Guinness beer (which lends a malty character and hints of sweetness).
- 1 (12-oz.) bottle Guinness Extra Stout
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown mustard seeds (10 oz.)
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground cloves
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground allspice
- Combine ingredients in a nonreactive mixing bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit at room temperature for 1–2 days so that the mustard seeds soften and the flavors meld.
- Transfer the mixture to the bowl of a food processor and process, stopping occasionally to scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula, until the seeds are coarsely ground and the mixture thickens, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a jar and cover.
- Refrigerate overnight and use immediately or refrigerate for up to 6 months. (The flavor of the mustard will mellow as the condiment ages.)