Be sure to use large, mature spinach with thick stems, not bagged baby spinach, to make this salad. The leaves' hardy texture and earthy flavor will stand up to the pungent vinaigrette.
- 1⁄8 tsp. crushed red chile flakes
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 oil-packed anchovy filet (see note)
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Rind of 1/2 preserved lemon, roughly chopped
- 1⁄4 cup loosely packed fresh oregano leaves
- 1 1⁄2 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 6 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 lb. large spinach leaves
Note: To make this recipe vegetarian or vegan: Omit the anchovy and replace with ½ ounce black olive tapenade.