(Sopa de Flor de Calabacin)
We came across this soup at Tlamanalli de Abigail Mendoza Ruiz restaurant in Teotitlan del Valle, a town about 15 miles northwest of Oaxaca, Mexico. Despite our best efforts, we couldn’t pry the secret recipe from chef-owner Ruiz, but we did concoct a version of our own that comes quite close.
- 2 cups Chicken Stock
- 4 scallions, trimmed and finely chopped
- 10 squash blossoms, trimmed and coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chopped purslane leaves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup masa harina
- Put stock and 4 cups cold water into a large pot and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium and add scallions, squash blossoms, and purslane. Season to taste with salt and pepper and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Mix masa harina and 1 cup water together in a small bowl, then add to soup. Mix well and cook until thick.