Infused with the meaty flavor of a smoked turkey leg, these super-tender green beans are a favorite side dish at Martha Lou’s Kitchen. This recipe first appeared in our May 2011 issue, with the article Specialty of the House.
- 4 tbsp. unsalted butter or bacon fat
- 1 large yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 1 lb. green beans, strings removed
- 1 small smoked turkey leg
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Heat butter in a 6-qt. saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until soft, about 4 minutes. Add green beans, turkey leg, and 4 cups water. Season with salt and pepper, and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring, until green beans are very tender, about 1 hour.