In the Indian household, lunch is the biggest meal of the day, consisting of at least four courses. This is one of the popular recipes used for the rice and vegetable course.
- 3 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. chana dal
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. urad dal
- 1 tsp. brown mustard seeds
- 20 fresh curry leaves (optional)
- 2-4 fresh hot green chiles, slivered
- 1⁄2 lb. green cabbage, shredded
- 2 medium carrots, finely julienned
- 3⁄4 tsp. salt
- 1⁄4 cup grated fresh coconut (or 1 oz. unsweetened dried coconut, reconstituted in warm water for 1 hour, and then thoroughly drained)
- Heat vegetable oil in a pan over medium heat. Add dals and mustard seeds. Stir until seeds pop and dals begin to turn red, a few seconds.
- Stir in curry leaves (if using), chiles, cabbage, and carrots. Add salt and stir. Cover, reduce heat, and cook until cabbage is tender. Add coconut and stir for 1 minute more.