Stir-Fried Cabbage and Carrots
Flavorful and simple to prepare, this is a typical vegetable dish found in Indian households at lunchtime.
Yield: serves 4
- 3 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. chana dal
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. urad dal
- 1 tsp. brown mustard seeds
- 20 fresh curry leaves (optional)
- 2-4 fresh hot green chiles, slivered
- 1⁄2 lb. green cabbage, shredded
- 2 medium carrots, finely julienned
- 3⁄4 tsp. salt
- 1⁄4 cup grated fresh coconut (or 1 oz. unsweetened dried coconut, reconstituted in warm water for 1 hour, and then thoroughly drained)
- Heat vegetable oil in a pan over medium heat. Add dals and mustard seeds. Stir until seeds pop and dals begin to turn red, a few seconds.
- Stir in curry leaves (if using), chiles, cabbage, and carrots. Add salt and stir. Cover, reduce heat, and cook until cabbage is tender. Add coconut and stir for 1 minute more.