Fresh strawberries are stirred into the batter of these oven-baked donuts which are then coated in a sugary pastel pink strawberry glaze.
Yield: makes about 1 1/2 dozen
- 1 1⁄4 cups (5 oz.) all-purpose flour, sifted
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 tsp. baking soda
- 1⁄2 tsp. kosher salt
- 2⁄3 cup canola oil, plus more for greasing
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 tsp. white vinegar
- 1⁄2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped strawberries
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- Heat oven to 350°. Combine flour, sugar, soda, and salt in a bowl; make a well in the center and set aside. Whisk oil, buttermilk, egg, vinegar, and vanilla in a bowl; add to well, and mix into a smooth batter. Stir in half the strawberries; set aside. Lightly grease a nonstick donut pan; spoon 2 tbsp. batter into each mold. Bake until golden and a toothpick inserted into donut comes out clean, 13-15 minutes. Invert donuts onto a baking sheet with a wire rack; let cool completely.
- Whisk remaining strawberries, confectioners’ sugar, and 2 tbsp. water until smooth. Dip tops of donuts into glaze and return to wire rack until glaze is set.