Strawberry cake, topped with strawberry cream cheese frosting, is a favorite soul food dessert; this delicious version comes from Bertha’s Kitchen. This recipe first appeared in our May 2011 issue, with the article Specialty of the House.
- 16 tbsp. unsalted butter, softened, plus more for greasing pans
- 3 cups flour, plus more for pans
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- 1⁄2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup seedless strawberry jam
- 3 tbsp. red food coloring (optional)
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1 (1-lb.) box confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 1 tsp. strawberry extract
- Heat oven to 350°. Grease and flour two 9″ round cake pans; set aside. Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl; set aside. Whisk together milk, jam, and 2 tbsp. food coloring in a small bowl; set aside. Beat together sugar, oil, vanilla, and eggs in a mixer on medium-high speed until pale and smooth, 2–3 minutes. In 3 additions, alternately add dry and wet ingredients to sugar mixture, beginning and ending with dry; mix until combined. Divide batter between prepared pans and smooth tops; bake until a toothpick inserted in the middle of cakes comes out clean, about 40 minutes. Let cool 15 minutes, unmold, then cool completely.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and cream cheese on high speed of a mixer until smooth and fluffy, 1–2 minutes. Add remaining food coloring, confectioners’ sugar, and strawberry extract; beat until smooth. Place one cake upside down on a cake stand, and spread 13 frosting over top. Cover with second cake, top side up; frost top and sides of cakes with remaining frosting; refrigerate for 1 hour before serving. Serve at room temperature.