This bright, simple strawberry dessert can be eaten chilled or made a day ahead and frozen.
- 1 lb. strawberries, trimmed; plus more, sliced, for garnish
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 tsp. kosher salt
- 3 eggs, separated into yolks and whites
- 3 tbsp. strawberry liqueur, such as Crème de Fraise des Bois
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. vanilla extract
Purée strawberries in a blender until very smooth, about 2 minutes; transfer to a 4-qt. saucepan. Add sugar, lemon juice, salt, and egg yolks; whisk until smooth. Place saucepan over medium heat; bring to a simmer. Cook, whisking occasionally, until thickened, about 15 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl and stir in liqueur; refrigerate until cold, about 30 minutes.
Whisk egg whites in a bowl until stiff peaks form; add to strawberry mixture. Fold gently until combined; set aside. Whisk cream and vanilla in a bowl until stiff peaks form; add to strawberry mixture. Fold until combined. Spoon mousse into serving cups; chill before serving. Garnish with sliced strawberries, if you like.