In this pie, orange zest nicely offsets the sweetness of the strawberries. This recipe first appeared in our June/July 2011 BBQ issue along with Tracie McMillan’s story Sweet Crusade.
- 3 cups flour
- 12 tbsp. unsalted butter, cubed and chilled
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. kosher salt
- 3 lb. strawberries, halved
- 1⁄2 cup plus 1 tbsp. sugar
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch
- 2 tbsp. orange juice
- 1 tbsp. orange zest
- 1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped
- 2 tbsp. heavy cream
- Pulse flour, butter, and 1 tsp. salt in a food processor until pea-size pieces form. Add ½ cup ice-cold water; pulse until dough forms. Form into a ball; halve and form into two disks. Wrap; chill for 1 hour.
- Heat oven to 425°. In a bowl, toss together remaining salt, berries, ½ cup sugar, cornstarch, juice, zest, and vanilla; set filling aside. Unwrap dough; roll both into 11″ wide and 1⁄8” thick circles. Transfer one circle to a 9″ deep-dish pie pan; mound filling inside. Cut ¾”-wide strips of dough from remaining circle; transfer to top of pie, creating a lattice pattern. Trim and crimp edges. Brush dough with cream and sprinkle with remaining sugar. Bake until golden and bubbling, about 1 hour. (If crust begins to brown before pie is finished baking, cover with foil until pie is done). Let cool.