String Bean and Mint Salad
This refreshing salad improves in flavor if allowed to rest for a while before it's served.
Yield: serves 4-6
- Several generous pinches salt
- 1⁄2 lb. string beans, trimmed
- 1⁄2 lb. wax beans, trimmed
- 1 bunch fresh mint
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- Juice from half a lemon
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Add several generous pinches salt and 1⁄2 lb. each trimmed string beans and wax beans and cook until just tender, 5–7 minutes. Meanwhile, chop the leaves from 1 bunch fresh mint and set aside. Mix together 1 minced peeled clove garlic, juice from half a lemon, 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, half the chopped mint leaves, and salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste in a large bowl; set aside. Drain beans and cool under cold running water; drain thoroughly. Transfer beans to bowl and toss to mix well. Adjust seasonings. Just before serving, toss beans with remaining mint.