A long roasting time intensifies the flavor of the tomatoes—but use very good ones to begin with.
Yield: serves 6
- 6 large ripe tomatoes
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bunch chopped fresh parsley
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 3-4 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 450°. Cut tomatoes in half crosswise and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Mix together parsley and garlic in a small bowl. Press parsley mixture onto cut side of each tomato.
- Arrange tomatoes, overlapping them slightly, in an 8'' x 11'' baking dish, drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil, and bake for 30 minutes. Reduce heat to 350° and continue baking until tomatoes are very tender, about 1 hour more.