This classic Provençal spread made with black olives and cured anchovies gets a chewy texture and sweet flavor from the addition of dried Black Mission figs. Serve it on slices of baguette or as a spread with a cheese board. This recipe first appeared in our June/July 2012 issue along with Sylvie Bigar’s story The Road to Paradise.
- 1 cup (about 5 oz.) finely chopped dried Black Mission figs
- 3⁄4 cup (about 5 oz.) pitted dry-cured black olives
- 1⁄2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup salt-packed capers, rinsed and drained
- 1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 6 oil-packed anchovies, drained
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor and pulse until evenly chopped and combined. Transfer to a bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.