This spicy sauce is "mopped" onto ribs as they smoke to moisten and flavor them. This recipe first appeared in our June/July 2011 BBQ issue.
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp. light brown sugar
- 1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp. crushed red chile flakes
- 1 tbsp. finely chopped cilantro
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. anise seeds
- 1⁄2 tsp. cumin seeds
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 cups ketchup
Puree vinegar, sugar, Worcestershire, chile, cilantro, salt, anise, cumin, and garlic in a blender; pour into a 4-qt. saucepan with ketchup. Cook, stirring, over medium heat, until thickened, about 30 minutes.