This 1950s classic is a staple of picnics and salad bars. The use of canned beans is de rigueur. In some renditions, garbanzo beans are substituted for wax beans.
- 1⁄2 cup white vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. dry mustard
- 3⁄4 tsp. celery seed
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, cored, seeded, and chopped
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 (15-oz.) can kidney beans
- 1 (14.5-oz.) can green beans
- 1 (14.5-oz.) can wax beans
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Whisk together vinegar, sugar, dry mustard, and celery seed in a bowl. Drizzle in 1⁄4 cup canola oil while whisking to form a smooth dressing.
- Add celery, bell pepper, onions, and the drained and rinsed contents of the kidney beans, green beans, and wax beans. Toss and season with salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate for at least 8 hours, to allow the flavors to meld.