This classic Genoese dish combines basil pesto with the region's version of fettuccine, as well as string beans and potatoes. This recipe first appeared in SAVEUR Issue #140 along with Laura Schenone's story Glorious Pesto.
Find this recipe in our cookbook, SAVEUR: Italian Comfort Food
- 3 cups packed basil
- 1⁄2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp. finely grated parmesan
- 2 tbsp. finely grated pecorino
- 2 tbsp. pine nuts
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 lb. trenette or linguine pasta
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 8 oz. haricots verts, trimmed
- 8 oz. baby red potatoes, roasted and halved
Make the pesto: Process basil, oil, cheeses, nuts, and garlic in a food processor until finely ground. Season with salt and pepper; set aside.
Bring a 6-qt. saucepan of salted water to a boil over high heat; add pasta and cook, stirring, until half-cooked, about 5 minutes. Add haricots verts, and cook, stirring, until pasta is al dente and vegetables are tender, about 3 minutes more. Drain pasta and vegetables, reserving 1⁄4 cup cooking water, and transfer to a large bowl along with potatoes and pesto; toss to combine, adding a couple tablespoons reserved cooking water, if needed, to make a smooth sauce.