Trenette al Pesto (Trenette with Pesto, Green Beans, and Potatoes)
This classic Genoese dish combines basil pesto with the region’s version of fettuccine, as well as string beans and potatoes. This recipe first appeared in SAVEUR Issue #140 along with Laura Schenone’s story Glorious Pesto.
Find this recipe in our cookbook, SAVEUR: Italian Comfort Food
- 3 cups packed basil
- 1⁄2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp. finely grated parmesan
- 2 tbsp. finely grated pecorino
- 2 tbsp. pine nuts
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 lb. trenette or linguine pasta
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 8 oz. haricots verts, trimmed
- 8 oz. baby red potatoes, roasted and halved
- Make the pesto: Process basil, oil, cheeses, nuts, and garlic in a food processor until finely ground. Season with salt and pepper; set aside.
- Bring a 6-qt. saucepan of salted water to a boil over high heat; add pasta and cook, stirring, until half-cooked, about 5 minutes. Add haricots verts, and cook, stirring, until pasta is al dente and vegetables are tender, about 3 minutes more. Drain pasta and vegetables, reserving 1⁄4 cup cooking water, and transfer to a large bowl along with potatoes and pesto; toss to combine, adding a couple tablespoons reserved cooking water, if needed, to make a smooth sauce.