Turkish Herb and Spice Mix (Baharat Karisimi)
Seasoning mixtures of this kind are common in kitchens throughout Turkey. Use this spice mix in the recipe for the Marinated Grilled Lamb Loin Skewers.
Turkish Herb and Spice Mix
Seasoning mixtures like this are common throughout Turkey, and are especially popular when cooking lamb.
Yield: makes 2 tablespoons
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. dried winter savory
- 1 tbsp. pickling spice
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
- 1⁄2 tsp. dried mint leaves, crumbled
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- In a spice mill, grind together to a fine powder dried winter savory, pickling spice, ground cinnamon, freshly grated nutmeg, crumbled dried mint leaves, ground cumin, and freshly ground black pepper. Store away from direct sunlight in a small airtight container for up to 3 months.