Umami, a savory taste associated with foods like aged cheese and mushrooms, is the signature flavor of this delicious condiment, which is served at the LA restaurant Umami Burger.
- 1 (28-oz.) can whole peeled tomatoes
- 3 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 tsp. kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 2 tsp. tamari
- 2 tsp. worcestershire
- 2 tsp. oyster sauce
- 5 anchovies, finely chopped and mashed into a paste
- Purée tomatoes in a blender; set aside. Heat oil in a 4-qt. saucepan over medium heat. Add onions; cook until soft, about 8 minutes. Add tomato purée, vinegar, brown sugar, tomato paste, and salt; cook, stirring occasionally, until thick, about 1 hour.
- Purée cooked tomato mixture in a blender. Transfer to a bowl; season with salt and stir in remaining ingredients. Cover and chill before using.