Horta me Avga Tiganita (Wild Greens with Fried Eggs)
This dish from Epirus marries the silky richness of an egg with the pleasing, mild bitterness of wild greens.
Yield: serves 6
- 1 1⁄4 cups extra-virgin olive oil
- 10 scallions, minced
- 1 3⁄4 lb. mixed greens, such as nettles, lamb's-quarter, spinach, Swiss chard, and arugula, washed and minced
- 1 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 cup chopped fresh mint leaves
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fennel fronds
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 6 eggs
- Heat ½ cup oil in a 5-qt. pot over medium-high heat. Add scallions and cook for 4 minutes. Add greens, parsley, mint, fennel, garlic, and ½ cup water; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, until greens are tender, 18–20 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Heat ¾ cup oil in an 12" skillet over medium-high heat. Working in two batches, crack eggs into skillet; cook, constantly spooning oil over yolks, until yolks are just set, about 2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer eggs to a plate. Divide greens between plates and top each with a fried egg.